The High School Internship is a hands-on experience that pairs students with Assistant District Attorneys, offering an insider’s view of the inner working of one of the largest DA’s offices in the country. Selected students will be assigned to a unit within the DA’s office and will support the work of Assistant District Attorneys and other members of the DA’s staff. The program is open to qualifying juniors and seniors who reside in and attend school in Brooklyn. Applicants must be able to commit to the entire duration of the internship, which will run from February 19, 2019 through February 22, 2019 (Tuesday-Friday) OR April 22, 2019 through April 26, 2019, from 9am-4pm (Monday through Friday). This is an unpaid internship but students will receive a weekly MetroCard for commuting expenses.
• Assist with legal research and analysis utilizing various sources such as the internet, news articles, and legal periodicals.
• Provide assistance to attorneys and support staff at various phases of a matter including pretrial, conference and/or trial.
• Perform a variety of paralegal and/or clerical functions, as required.
• Assist attorneys with case preparation, discovery, file maintenance and organization of court documents.
• Participate in workshops pertinent to different departments and legal zones.
• Participate in judicial, legal and law enforcement observational field trips.
• Observe criminal trials and defendants during sentencing in court.
• Applicants must reside in and attend school in Brooklyn.
• Applicants must be a high school junior or senior.
• Applicants must be able to commit to the entire duration of the internship: February 19, 2019 through February 22, 2019 (Tuesday-Friday) OR April 22, 2019 through April 26, 2019 (Monday through Friday). Hours are 9am-4pm.
*** Please Note: Items 1-3 must be prepared and ready for upload before starting the online application. Applications cannot be saved.
1. Most recent high school transcript
2. Updated resume
3. A 300 word "Statement of Interest" which must be typed (12 pt. font/double-spaced) and addresses the following: “Why are you interested in interning with the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office?" and "What impact do you think the internship will have on your future personal and academic behaviors?"
4. One (1) letter of recommendation from a teacher, coach, or mentor, etc. Recommendation letter must include student’s first and last name and all recommendations must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org via email. Subject header must include the student’s first and last name.
Application Deadline: November 12, 2018