The Kings County District Attorney’s office is in the midst of a transformational process called Justice 2020, in which we seek to change the way we as prosecutors think about our work, considering each case to determine how best to fulfill our vision of keeping Brooklyn safe and strengthening community trust by ensuring fairness and equal justice for all. As part of this initiative, we seek to increase the extent to which our work is strategic, data-driven and transparent.
The Office has an immediate opening for a Policy Analyst in its Policy and Strategy Department. In this position, the Policy Analyst will be responsible for supporting the work of the office with the aggregation, reporting, and analysis of enterprise data sets. This position requires a combination of substantive criminal justice policy knowledge and analytical skills, as the ideal candidate will have the ability to work with various parts of the office to help determine how to capture the necessary metrics to fulfill the vision of Justice 2020 and increase the office’s efficiency and transparency. The policy analyst will need to be comfortable at the intersection of policy and analytics and be able to render technical data in a way that can be understood by a non-technical audience that includes the public.
• Create reports for managerial staff, other criminal justice system actors and the public.
• Support policy projects through use of data to inform decision-making.
• Seek out, integrate, and analyze new sources of data applicable to KCDA operations or priorities.
• Collaborate with IT on infrastructure, tools, and policies.
• Work with staff to integrate data tools into their work.
• Work with outside agencies and organizations on data-driven projects.
• Plan and execute program evaluations.
• Perform other related duties and tasks as assigned.
• Experience working with complex datasets.
• Strong quantitative and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
• Excellent written and verbal interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills required.
• Must be extremely detail-oriented, self-motivated, highly-organized, resourceful, and reliable.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
• Proficiency in R (or other statistical software), GIS software, or Python.
• Proficiency Microsoft SQL or other RDBMS experience.
• Substantive knowledge of criminal justice issues strongly preferred.
• Bachelor’s Degree required. Preferred Requirements:
• Master’s degree in a related field (Social Sciences, Political Science, Computer Science, or Criminal Justice) or similar experience.
• Microsoft Analysis Services or other OLAP experience.
Salary will be commensurate with experience.